A list of simple things here and there.
1. Simple giving. A few years back, inspired by my friend Lisa who routinely gives blood, I started donating every few months. I think it was a pregnancy that put a halt to my giving. When I recently read of a blood drive close to my home, I jumped at the opportunity to start donating again. If you’re short on money or time, giving blood is a charitable offering that’s extremely valuable. The blood draw takes on average six to eight minutes and the whole process about an hour. Bonfils and the American Red Cross are a couple blood banks where you can give.
2. Simple peace. I celebrated a birthday recently and one of the favorite gifts I received was a three month subscription to the meditation app Headspace. The program provides daily guidance and discipline to a meditation practice, which in turn brings peace of mind. What better gift to give and receive?
3. Simple gift. I’m not much of a collector, except for glass jars. I have jars of all sizes, but some of my favorites are the tiny ones. They’re perfect for filling with balms, lotions and butters. I think these would make great gifts to stuff in a stocking or give to a friend.
4. Simple traditions. There are certain things I’m nostalgic about, and going into the woods to cut a Christmas tree is one. This has been a tradition in my family since I can remember. The day we went to get our tree this year was marked even more special by the wildlife sightings. We saw big horn sheep, deer, pronghorn antelope, a herd of elk, a coyote and a bald eagle. It would have been a memoriable day without all that, but wow!
5. Simple wreath. Gather boughs (mine were cut from the bottom branches of the Christmas tree), bundle and tie with a bow and if you want to get really fancy, adorn with salt dough stars.
Stay cozy and have a happy holiday weekend!
Love, Julie xo