A list of simple things here and there.
1. Simple winter books. How did I not know about Flannel Kisses (published in 1997)? I’m in love with the charming and sweet illustrations and simple rhyming text. Other favorite children’s winter books we’ve been reading include Red Sled, The Tomten, Owl Moon and The Snowy Day. Do you have any favorites?
2. Simple bowls. Lately I’ve been making “Buddha Bowls” for breakfast and lunch. I start with a scoop of brown rice and pile on veggies, fruit, protein/nuts/seeds, herbs/spices and dressings/sauces. The one pictured has brown rice, a fried egg, shaved red cabbage, grated carrot, green onion and cilantro. I drizzled the whole thing with sesame oil, rice vinegar and sriracha. I love this formula for making Buddha bowls.
3. Simple spray. Until recently my three-year-old hated getting his hair brushed. I made up a spray bottle of lavender water, which I mist on his hair and body. After being sprayed, he sits contently in my lap and allows me to brush his hair. A little nurturing care turned a struggle into a sweet daily ritual. To make, add a few drops of lavender essential oil to a glass spray bottle filled with water.
4. Simple attire. When I got dressed the other day, without consciously meaning to, I realized my entire outfit was clothing made in the USA of natural fibers. Here’s what I was wearing: alpaca socks, Brook There organic cotton bra and underwear, thrifted Alternative Apparel t-shirt and Lucky Jeans (both labeled as 100% cotton/USA made), a wool hand-knit sweater (thanks Mom!), and Frye boots (purchased several years ago). It didn’t happen overnight, but my wardrobe is definitely shifting to better ethical standards.
5. Simple peace. I hate crowds, but I thought it was important to participate in the Denver Women’s March. The march drew an estimated 100,000 people. I’ve never been among a crowd so big and yet I never once felt overwhelmed. The spirit of the event was happy, hopeful and peaceful. I’m carrying those feelings through my days.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend!